[tournament-org] Things a Tournament Director hates

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 11:07:30 BST 2023

I think this is an interesting point which applies to all pairing
programs.  Very often the issue is that too many people are crowding
around a draw sheet, and those of us with impaired vision cannot get
close enough to see the pairing.

I have sometimes been known to ask organisers to space out the pairing
sheets to reduce crowding.  It also helps to display a copy of the
pairing in individual rooms if the tournament is organised that way.

GoDraw in particular, does have a larger than normal font.  Increasing
it further may require layout to be landscape which might cause further
problems.

One solution that could be considered is to project the pairing on a
wall - so the font could be made very large indeed.

At some tournaments I have seen players whip out their smartphones or
tablets and take a picture of the draw sheet, so they can zoom in at will.

So yes, modern IT technology could well come to the rescue.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582