[tournament-org] Timings

Colin Williams colin_williams at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 15:16:36 GMT 2020

Geoff, Gerry,

I agree Fischer time is different to byo-yomi, however a player who had run
out of time would still have to play on average a move every 7 seconds. I
think we all know there are players who will naturally end up out of time by
the middle game, no matter how much they start with. Taking into account the
clock may be on the 'off hand' side of the board, which could in itself cost
up to a second a move, it can be very hard to generate any significant time
back for considering complex moves.

The tournament category is a different but related issue. As I understand
the rules, no matter what timing system is played 'A' tournaments allow more
total time for games than 'B' tournaments, and similarly for 'C'. If we want
to run 'A' tournaments we will have to set a timetable for the day that
accommodates that, if that is practicable. Is there any set of standards or
guidance, for example on what length breaks we should plan to have between
each round?

Regards,

Colin.