[tournament-org] Fischer Time suggested configurations

Matt Marsh matt at crazedbytes.net
Thu Feb 20 15:45:32 GMT 2020

Hi all,

As many of you are aware, we have more and more tournaments using Fischer Time. This has been made possible now that we have more tournaments using digital clocks (and it's our recommended time system for these).

I'm sometimes asked to help with recommending what configurations to use with Fischer Time - and I'm very happy to help advise with this.

A while ago, I started putting together a spreadsheet that helps to understand the impact of different configurations by showing how long a player will have been given after certain numbers of moves. I've now tidied this up a little and I've indicated some particular configurations that might be considered as a starting point. There are obviously plenty of other options, and the right configuration will depend a lot on the time constraints of your tournament.

Take a look at (and possibly bookmark?) the spreadsheet here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N3ipno7drgcojkGIIZYUcxUJtAfje26MfQ4EUoaxyrI/edit?usp=sharing

(If you forget where the spreadsheet is, I have also linked to it from the Tournament Organiser's Handboook).

I will continue to evolve the spreadsheet over time as we get more and more experience from running Fischer Time tournaments.

Once again - I'm very happy to help advise anyone who is wondering what configuration to use - please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Matt

--
*Matt Marsh*
matt at crazedbytes.net
+44 (0)7795 297779 <tel:+44-7795-297779>