[tournament-org] GroupsInGoDraw

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 22:03:06 BST 2018

Just to restate the problem:

We have a player A who should not play against players B,C,D,E,F,G,H for
at least the first three rounds of a 6 round tournament.

The issue may occur at the bar level or at any level lower down in the
entry.
On 18/10/2018 09:36, TobyManning via tournament-org wrote:
> I look at the entry and determine if it is possible that A can avoid
> playing anuy of B - H, or if (eventually) a match is inevitable.
>
> If A will have to play 3 out of B-H and 3 others, I just let the
> programme go ahead. The "not same club" will avoid them playing in the
> first round;

Unfortunately this won't quite work.  First of all it may be that A has
a club different from all of the others and the program will happily
pair them - if a good mms match is found.

Secondly, suppose all the players are from the same club.  This means
that A's pool of opponents is reduced by 7.  It may be that all the
remaining players have very different grades to A. Matching mms in a
pairing takes priority over the 'not same club' rule.  So the program
might draw A against one of B to H in round 1.

if they have to play 3 of their mates it s not too
> important if it is games 4-6 or a random 3 games.

We don't mind who B-H play, so long as its not A.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582