[tournament-org] The Bar in general

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 14:28:27 GMT 2018

I agree with Toby's points a,b,c below.  I even agree that placement of
the bar cannot prevent the disadvantage.

Where we disagree is with the use of the BGA table in setting the bar.

There is plenty of evidence to show that you cannot set the bar based on
the number of rounds alone.  For a 6 round tournament, the BGA tables
advise you to have a population range from 7 to 15 players, and in some
tournaments that would lead to a range from 5k to 2d or worse.

It is essential to take account of the grade distribution at the top,
and the bar depth idea is just a first step in trying to do this. I have
created a spreadsheet showing bar-grade data for all our tournaments
this year.

http://www.kaniuk.co.uk/articles/pairing/bga-bar-grades-2018.xls

It has a table on the sheet 'pwin' showing the probability that player
with grade Glo (column A) beats player with grade Ghi (row 3)

In the sheet 'tours-pub' we have an anonymised table of tournaments
presented in bar-depth order. It shows who the winner played and I have
detailed the few cases where the winner dropped a game. This happened in
just 5 out of 25 tournaments and in nearly all such cases the grade
difference was just one.

There is data showing the probability that the player at the bottom of
the bar (with grade Gbar) beats the maximum graded player. There were 7
tournaments where the bar-depth varies from 4 to 7. In these tournaments
the Gbar player has a winning chance against the strongest in the range
0.1% to 8.2%

For the 10 tournaments with a bar-depth of 1 or 2 this probability lies
in the range 18.1% to 34.1%

For the 8 tournaments with bar-depth = 3, the range is 10.7% to 26.1%

The spreadsheet also contains a useful plot of these probs vs bar-depth

Remember that these probabilities are calculated for just one game.  The
actual probability of a Gbar winning the tournament is usually tiny.

My conclusion is that when the population at a bar-depth of 3 is small,
(varying from 1 to 8) the bar can only be lowered if you are prepared to
consider using handicaps above the bar.

If we do not want to do that then one possibility is to isolate the top
group by boosting the initial MMS by a few points - in other words
create a super group.  This protects the players below the bar from
hugely unbalanced games.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582