[tournament-org] The Bar in general

TobyManning ptm at tobymanning.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 15:55:01 GMT 2018

Geoff:

Thanks.

*Supergroup*

First of all, I agree with you about the supergroup. Indeed many years
ago I put forward the view that, having set the bar, the starting
strength of those above the bar should represent their *average*
strength not simply "bar+1".

Thus, for example, if the entry is 3d 3d 2d 1d 1k 1k in a 3 round
tournament then the bar should be at 1d but those above the bar should
start at +1 (if the 1 kyus start at -1), and not 0. I ran a few
tournaments on this basis  probably 15 - 20 years ago, but I was told I
was wrong and the idea never really caught on.

*Spreadsheet Comments*

When I look at your spreadsheet, there are 4 tournaments where the
number above the bar is less than the number recommended in the Table.
Of these:-

a) I don't understand No. 12 (4d, 5*1d) where the bar was at 1d but
there was only 1 player above the bar. The correct answer is for the bar
to be at 1 dan with 6 above the bar

b) Nos 16 and 19: why did the 1k not play both 3k in No 16? Were
handicaps used in No 19? Both cases are difficult , and there might be a
case for handicaps (consult the players?)

c) No 25 The bar should have been at 1k with a supergroup.

No 1 should have had the bar at 1 dan , when the depth would have been 3.

In addition, No 13 should be a supergroup (see above) with the bar at 1d

Finally, of course, Nos 7 and 21 have too many above the bar. For No 7,
I would have put the bar at 1 dan, No 21 is difficult and a fudge may be
required.

*Use of Organiser's Handbook Tables*

You state:-

/There is plenty of evidence to show that you cannot set the bar based
on the number of rounds alone.  For a 6 round tournament, the BGA tables
advise you to have a population range from 7 to 15 players, and in some
tournaments that would lead to a range from 5k to 2d or worse/.

Sorry, I am confused: I don't see this evidence. In a 6 round tournament
the ultimate winner will (ideally) end up playing people ranked 2nd to
7th, and this will be the case irrespective of where the bar is placed.
And the winner's oppponents should all have a chance of winning the
Tournament: imagine the outcry if a maverick player gets 6/6, but one of
the people that he beat is said to have won the tournament. (This would
have happened last year at the 3 peaks if James Richards had beaten me
in the last round, see http://www.britgo.org/results/2017/threepeaks).

I reiterate my stance that the Table should take priority, and that if
there is a choice of values within this range then bar depth is an
important consideration.

Perhaps I should shut up and let others comment.

Toby.

--
Toby Manning
26 Groby Lane