[tournament-org] TournamentEntryGrades

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 19:48:33 BST 2019

Hi Jenny,

I wonder if anyone has actually looked at the player list you
downloaded? I have to confess that I implemented that soon after the
rating system was introduced because I anticipated that one day people
might get interested in it.

Things are never as simple as they might appear once you start looking
at the details. The original player list file was only ever meant to
support auto=completion. Once a player has been entered it must be
assumed that that any corrections to the player data have been made.

This means that the data in the player list file never overrides the
details of already entered players.

I think we have reached the stage that we really do need to consult all
TD's to:

1. Find out what their current working practise  is.

2. Do TD's agree that player grades should be automatically set by
rating at the start of the tournament?

3.Are players agreeable to this change which traditionally has always
been advisory?

There are obvious special cases where an automatic setting is not
appropriate and hopefully mose to fthese are already covered in the
ratings FAQ.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582