[tournament-org] Penalties for minor infringments ....

Neil Sandford neil.sandford at neilsandford.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 20:12:40 BST 2018

Somebody did a rules quiz for the Journal a couple of years ago and one of the suggestions for good practice was to cover up the main bowl of stones in overtime to prevent one being accidentally (or otherwise) played. Other goodies:

A pass-stone in overtime has to be an overtime stone.

The entire move has to be completed - including removing captured stones from the board - before pressing your clock, before the overtime period runs out.

The clock has to be stopped after making the final move in overtime BEFORE the flag falls.

Since your clock is not running while waiting for the opponent to move, the next time you make a move you will either: stop the clock and count out more overtime stones or make a move before stopping your clock. The choice is yours.

The rules seem vague about whether you can stop your clock and count out overtime stones IN ADDITION to any that you still have unplayed before the flag falls

The rules seem vague about the end of main time - I don’t think it says whether the first set of overtime stones has to be counted out BEFORE the flag falls in normal time or WHEN the flag falls. Given that the accuracy of an analogue clock is lower than we might like, it seems arbitrary when maintime actually finishes.

Your offender did not break the rule that says: a player who fails to play all the overtime stones within the overtime period loses the game on time. The loss is immediate - the opponent does not need to 'claim' a win.

Time for dinner.

Neil