[tournament-org] WhereIsTheBar

TobyManning ptm at tobymanning.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 18:32:18 BST 2018

Geoff's example is not a tournament with a sparse entry (compare Gerry's
Cork example, which had 13 entrants between 2d and 20 kyu, which was
sparse, and hence run as a pure handicap tournament.) Geoff's example is
a tournament with an outlier.

I asked a similar question in October 2015 (see
http://lists.britgo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/gotalk/2015-October/000427.html
- "Should there be handicap games above the bar?). None of the people
responding who were likely to be affected was in favour of handicap games.

It is  unfortunate that many players - particularly the stronger ones, I
am afraid  - tend to enter tournaments late,  which means that it can be
difficult to consult with the putative 5 dan. And disastrous if one
suggests they do not play - then one gets two 3 dans entering "on the day".

I recollect Matthew Macfadyen playing in (and winning) the Welsh Open
(Barmouth) for a number of years - he had a large number of wins (50?)
with no losses, and only stopped playing when he actually lost a game.
Did he consider he was "shooting fish in a barrel?" I think not.

Toby.