[tournament-org] The Bar in general

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 23:14:00 GMT 2018

According to my reading of the entry list we have:

2*5d 4d 3d 5*1d 1kyu ...

It is a 3 round event.

If you blindly apply the existing BGA tables [4 to 8] players, the bar
will be set at 3d, because adding in the 1d will make 9 players above
the bar. This is another good example of a very unbalanced bar group
with a big gap.

You could set the bar at 3d and still be within the BGA tables.  I think
GoDraw will set the bar at 3d - giving a bar depth of 2.

There are some new players at the top:
Yiming Zhang 5d
Xu Hanxi 3d
Jason 5d

I guess they will all be stronger than 1d

The 1d can win the tournament against 5d 5d 4d with probability:

0.057*0.057*0.146 = 0.047%

Finally, please remember that if the organiser does not like the bar
setting he can change it after close of registration and before doing
the draw for round 1.

Can you please try to find out how the new players have estimated their
grades?

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582