[tournament-org] The Bar in general

Matt Marsh matt at crazedbytes.net
Wed Nov 7 19:17:23 GMT 2018

Geoff,

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, at 13:31, Geoff Kaniuk via tournament-org wrote:

> Toby said:
> >Of course, the statement on bar depth being less than 3 assumes that> >the grades are "correct" in some ill-defined way.
>
> The McMahon system relies on players entering with realistic
> grades, and> so in all my discussions I always assume that grades are
> consistent with> player strengths as found on our rating page.

I'm not sure that it is reasonable to work to that assumption.

There are so many factors that lead to people entering tournaments at
'wrong' grades:
 * a player who has never entered a tournament before and so has to
   estimate their strength
 * a player who had a bad run of tournament games and so their EGD
   rating is really lower than their actual strength
 * a player who had a 'lucky' run of tournament games and so their EGD
   rating is really higher than their actual strength
 * a player who doesn't like their EGD rating and so convince the TD to
   let them enter at a different grade
 * a player may not have played in a tournament for a long time and
   their strength may have changed in the meantime
I could go on and on and on...

I believe that we have to assume that at almost every tournament
there will be some players who are not entered at their 'actual'
strength. Therefore whenever setting the bar or making other
decisions based on rating we have to give more leeway than we might
like in a 'perfect' system.
If we have a tournament with some 4 dans and some 1 kyus then it's not
totally unreasonable to believe that a 4 dan might actually be
realistically 2 dan and that a 1 kyu might also be 2 dan.
Matt

--
*Matt Marsh*
matt at crazedbytes.net