[tournament-org] The Bar in general

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 13:31:55 GMT 2018

A. THREE PEAKS
The 3P incident was interesting. I has a conversation with Bob after the
event and it transpired that initially Bob had a top group of 6 players
something like 5d,4d, 1k,1k, 1k,1k.  After closing the register GoDraw
set the bar at 1k, as this provides a jump from 2 to 6 players, even
though the bar-depth exceeds 3.

At this point two more players pitched up: a 2d and a 1d. I am not sure
if Bob had already done the draw, but there would have been no problem -
just pair them and sort out the draw later after entering results. This
would have left the bar at 1k as it does not get re-computed.

I assume he had not done the draw, and may have tried to add these two
players.  This would be refused by GoDraw because it had already worked
out the bar.  Now you have to re-open the register, add the two players,
and close the register.

Now GoDraw sets the bar afresh. At 2d the bar depth is 3 but still not
enough players to exceed the number of rounds. So it leaves the bar at 4d.

I do understand the tension involved in getting the first round going,
so Bob did the right thing and carried on with the draw.  But actually
there is a simple way to deal with this:

	After closing the register,
		If you do not like the bar,
			Just change it!

There is a field for setting the bar manually and you can adjust it to
what you want.  The philosophy underlying GoDraw is that it is a TD's
toolkit, not a TD's boss!

You cannot change the bar after doing the draw. The only thing setting
the bar does, is to specify the player's initial McMahon score. Again
there is a field in the register editor which allows you to change the
player's initial MMS and this of course adjusts the players current MMS
as well. By making this adjustment for all the players you want above
the bar, you achieve what you want!

B. THE BGA BAR TABLE CONDITIONS
Toby reproduces four conditions which an ideal bar setting should meet.
These are indeed aspirations.  But on their own they do not provide any
information that is useful for setting the bar. A 5 round tournament
would require exactly 32 players above the bar to guarantee a unique
winner. Three Peaks had a total of 34 so almost everybody above the
bar?. It might be well worth while having a look at BGJ 173 - Finding
the Bar which discusses

C. THE BGA BAR TABLE VALUES
I have in the past tried to find some documentation on the origins of
the table and the best I got was that it is lost in the mists of time.

When the table was invented, people did not have a good measure of the
probability of win between players of different strengths. But now
through the data collected by EGD we do have a good model.  This enables
us to simulate McMahon tournaments to assess the effect of different bar
settings and that work is cited in the BGJ 173 article.

The outcome confirms that you cannot set the bar on the basis of number
of rounds alone, but it depends on the nature of the distribution of top
grades.  It leads to the following table which is a rough linear
representation of the extremes of the bar populations in the simulations:

rounds 2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
low    2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
high  11  12  14  15  16  18  19  21   22

In these simulations the bar was calculated by a Monte Carlo algorithm.
The bar depth never exceeded 3 and was very rarely equal to 3.

Toby said:
 >Of course, the statement on bar depth being less than 3 assumes that
 >the grades are "correct" in some ill-defined way.

The McMahon system relies on players entering with realistic grades, and
so in all my discussions I always assume that grades are consistent with
player strengths as found on our rating page.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582