[Newsletter] Proposed conversion of the BGA to a Company Limited by Guarantee

Jil Segerman jil.segerman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:48:52 GMT 2022

Dear BGA members
This is a message from BGA President Toby Manning, he has asked me to
forward to you all.
Jil Segerman (Newsletter Editor)

"At the 2020 (online) AGM a motion was passed which agreed in principle to
convert the BGA from an Unincorporated Association to a Company Limited by
Guarantee. This motion instructed Council to consult with members before
bringing forward a substantive motion to the 2022 AGM. Council has
therefore put together a coherent and comprehensive set of proposals, which
we hope will be supported by members at the next AGM. These proposals,
together with a lot of background information, are available  at
www.britgo.org/conversion.

We have designed the conversion so that, as far as possible, we will
preserve the way we operate; you should see minimal changes. More
information about what will change and what will stay the same is available
on the above webpage.

However, in researching the proposals we identified a significant hole in
our existing constitution: Council has no powers to deal with bad
behaviour. While such issues are very rare, they can happen and we believe
we need powers to deal with issues such as deliberate cheating or
persistent abusive or illegal behaviour.
We have therefore drafted a simple ‘Code of Conduct’ and a procedure to
deal with any alleged breaches of the Code. Details are part of the
consultation
referred to above, and can be found at www.britgo.org/codeofconductproposals.
We hope that you will find this to be a balanced way of dealing with what
we expect to be a very rare occurrence.

We look forward to receiving any comments or questions that you may have,
so that they can be resolved before the AGM which we expect to take place
in April or May. Please send them to me at president at britgo.org, ideally
before the end of February; we will publish them on the website unless you
specifically state otherwise.

This is an important step in the development of the BGA, and we look
forward to a  full discussion followed by a substantive vote at the
forthcoming AGM.
Toby Manning
President"