[tournament-org] Things a Tournament Director hates

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 22:41:56 BST 2023

Agreed re title.  Ten things TD would like to see?

GoDraw tries hard to pair players below the bar from different clubs The
player annoyance seems to get more intense the closer you get to the
bottom of the draw.

The only alternative is to offer a handicap game instead of same club.
GoDraw has a handicap bar that the DM can set - its default value is 10k.

It means that for grades below the handicap bar, players will be paired
with higher handicaps rather than same club where an even game+other
club is not possible.

Once the draw is done GoDraw provides a comment on each pairing giving
the DM a change to try to modify the pairing if a same club game seems
to be unreasonable.

Note that a player who enters as No Club will happily play any other
player even another No Club player.

So although I agree that we prefer to play even, if the same club
pairing is an issue then in my experience forcing an even game can lead
to great unhappiness.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582