[tournament-org] Timings

Matt Marsh matt at crazedbytes.net
Mon Mar 9 19:29:13 GMT 2020

Colin,

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020, at 15:16, Colin Williams via tournament-org wrote:
> The tournament category is a different but related issue. As I understand the rules, no matter what timing system is played ‘A’ tournaments allow more total time for games than ‘B’ tournaments, and similarly for ’C’.

In practical terms I think your statement is pretty true - though there are some edge cases where a Class B tournament with some settings could be longer than a Class A tournament if they both last 320 moves or something :-)

> If we want to run ‘A’ tournaments we will have to set a timetable for the day that accommodates that, if that is practicable. Is there any set of standards or guidance, for example on what length breaks we should plan to have between each round?

Personally I always try to allow 15 minutes between rounds. Entering the results and doing the draw is fairly fast as Geoff has said, but it's good to have a bit of extra time to allow for overrunning games from the previous rounds, publishing the draw, making any announcements etc.

If your timetable is tight, then be forceful in getting people to start their games promptly instead letting them stand around chatting for 10 minutes after the draw is published. I find that starting player's clocks tends to focus their minds pretty quickly ;-)

Matt

--
*Matt Marsh*
matt at crazedbytes.net
+44 (0)7795 297779 <tel:+44-7795-297779>