[tournament-org] McMahon Bar

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Thu Jul 30 11:55:54 BST 2020

This is a really good example why it is very important to take into
account the distribution of player strengths, and not rely on bar
setting guidelines which are based purely on number of rounds.

There is a concept - the 'supergroup' - which was invented precisely to
deal with this kind of situation. Admittedly this is more common in very
long tournaments with many strong players - e.g. the European Go
Congress, but as here it does have general application.

GoDraw has a feature to create supergroups. In this case the process
results in setting a basic bar at shodan (MMS=0) but a supergroup
consisting of 2d and 3d (MMS=2). In this case it is equivalent to just
setting the bar at 2d because the bar group is homogeneous. For the
first two rounds the supergroup play each other, but the shodans get
their chance in round 3!

You can of course split the 1d on GoR as you say, and I can advise how
to actually do it in GoDraw without much fuss. But I would like to
emphasise that when doing this kind of thing, one should not rely on
current GoR value alone. Rating can be very noisy for many players, and
that includes top players by the way!

It is vital to look at the player rating history in EGD for each of the
seven 1 dan players. It may be obvious from their graphs who is stable,
or who is underrated or overrated, or you may see chaos. In the latter
case I would strongly advise to take the average of the last 10 games -
assuming that they were played within the last 3 years say. In fact to
be fair, one should use an average for all the players under
consideration.  It would also be worth looking at the 3d,2d history to
be sure.

Hope this helps.

PS I wonder what has triggered your example?

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582