[tournament-org] dealing with spectator intervention

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Sat May 18 14:36:22 BST 2019

[[ comments ]]

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582

On 18/05/2019 13:32, Gerry Gavigan wrote:

>> On 18 May 2019 at 13:11 Geoff Kaniuk via tournament-org
>> <tournament-org at lists.britgo.org <mailto:tournament-org at lists.britgo.org>> wrote:
>>

>> I agree with Alison that no new rule is needed. Our default rules in
>>
>> www.britgo.org/rules/approved
>>
>> section Disputes is clear on what should be done in normal circumstances.
>>
>> First of all, players should know that if there is any untoward
>> behaviour by opponents or onlookers then they have the right to stop the
>> clock and call the referee.
>
> What can the referee do?

[[
The ref uses common sense and requires players and onlookers to behave
in a sportsmanlike fashion. If this is not happening then ask the
offender to leave the playing area.
]]

>> This seems not to have happened in the case mentioned so somehow the message
>> needs to be publicised.
>
> You are not aware of all the circumstances. And there are reasons why I am not
> being specific. I thought that was clear and I am sorry you did not realise.
[[
I am aware of some the circumstances having experienced some of this
myself at Trigantius. So I did of course realise that you were not being
specific.
]]

>> Secondly, for repeated behaviour of the kind reported, the referee has
>> the automatic right to ask the offender to leave the playing area during
>> game play.
>
> What if they don't go, or as in this case both come back and argue the toss?

[[
Simple: forfeit the game.  Tell player that any repeat will mean player
is removed from tournament. Also tell player that an appeal can be
lodged with BGA.
]]

>> If the disputes statement in the handbook were to be strengthened to
>> include referee rights it should be kept very general as there are too
>> many specific violations that one cannot anticipate.
>
> So what happens now? Can the referee call the game? It wasn't clear from the
> link you sent.
[[
Yes forfeit the game. And to be clear player is withdrawn from
tournament if disturbance does not stop.

The link itself may need a bit of strengthening, but as I say keep it
general. Its main purpose is to give the ref the authority to act.
]]