[tournament-org] dealing with spectator intervention

Alison Bexfield alison at bexfield.com
Sat May 18 12:38:36 BST 2019

I am not sure that we need to go as far as introducing a new rule. I
think some common sense from players is needed.
What should be made clear is that if any player has concerns about the
behaviour of their opponent or of any spectator they should call the
referee or tournament organiser and discuss their concerns. They can
stop the clock while they do this. The organiser can then step in as a
neutral person.

If there was repeated behaviour as indicated below, then timely speaking
to the organiser would have allowed some neutral intervention to remove
the parent. We sometimes have this issue at youth tournaments and the
organisers keep an eye out and step in if needed.  We usually request
that parents do not watch their child's game closely as this has the
effect of putting off the child.

---
Alison Bexfield