[tournament-org] TrigantiusLessonI

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Sun Mar 17 20:32:29 GMT 2019

I think there were three lessons to be learnt from last week's Trigantius:

Late Surge, Registration Time, Trophy Management.

Lesson I - Late surge.
Entries were dribbling in steadily in the weeks before the date and had
got close to last years entry.  However two days before the date I
suddenly got 16 entries, breaking our previous entry and getting scarily
close to our maximum of 80 for the main tournament. It is great to get
more entries than usual, but if they come in good time it is easier to
manage.

Sourcing extra sets was not a major headache thanks to willingness of
Helen and Martin Harvey to load some in their car. We had plenty of
clocks thanks to the Fischer time trial managed by Matt Marsh and his
supply of digital clocks.

A particular issue faced at Trigantius is that the venue is opened only
at 10 am so we can never start registration early.  The late surge
induced the problem of locating sufficient tables in the venue for use
by the extras. This took time, delayed the start of registration and we
were not able to recover the time.

The question is how to stop the late surge?

A. Close entry a week before the date.

B. A very punitive late entry fee kicking in a week before the date.

C. An incrementing late entry fee e.g. start at £2 on the Monday
incrementing by £2 every day.

All organisers have so far been very resigned to players entering at the
last minute. I believe this is not tolerated in other competitions.

I will be interested to hear your views?

--
Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582