[tournament-org] TournamentEntryGrades

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Mon Jun 17 09:54:47 BST 2019

Thanks Matt,

Just a bit of history:

Prior to 1997 player grades were self-declared apart from dan grades
which were set by the BGA Grading Committee.

There was a lot of discomfort when the rating system was introduced as
there was a feeling that players would be named and shamed.

So I am keen to see that players and TD's agree with the concept of an
automatic setting of entry grades.

The EGD system is the one we use but I would be cautious about saying
that the right grade for a player is the one derived after the last
tournament.  In most players below about 4d you will find a significant
scatter in the player's rating from one tournament to the next. Sticking
to that measure is of course the easy option.

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582