[tournament-org] Club names

Christopher Kirkham cckirkham at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 26 09:42:18 GMT 2019

As membership secretary, I feel I should address Geoff's 2nd question.  Historically, members mostly joined through clubs - and received their Go Journals via club secretaries.  Then it was essential for the membership secretary to know about club affiliations.  Now this has all changed, however.  Interactions with members are direct.  There is nothing about maintaining the membership or distributing the Journal that depends on club information.  So I do not ask for it.  If someone makes a case for this information being important enough for me to collect, store, and update, I guess I could.  But, as I see it, club information is currently only used in tournaments - and not everyone goes to tournaments.  Those that do are happy to supply it - although not always consistently or accurately.  From tournaments, it gets into the ranking list - and Geoff does an excellent job of trying to preserve consistency there.

Cheers,

Chris