[tournament-org] GoDraw650

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 13:56:59 BST 2019

I have released the latest version of GoDraw.  This incorporates our
recent discussion of entry grades in the following way:

1. The player list.
The file GoPlayers.gdi has always had a GoR field, but it does not
require it. This field is currently updated every evening from the
latest EGD ratings for the UK.

2. New Tournament
When a new tournament is created manually you will receive a message
explaining the setting of player entry grades. The message contains a
reminder to download the latest player list.

3. New Tournament created from old.
This is implemented in the Seeding option. The main purpose for seeding
is to enable organisers to easily run side events without having to
re-enter all the player details.

If you create a new tournament by seeding you will see a message
explaining that seeding produces a verbatim copy with all game results
removed. So it picks up whatever grade was set in the earlier tournament.

3. Player entry.
When you enter a known player the player list is consulted and the entry
grade is set from the player's rounded strength.  The Note field shows
the value of the player's strength, and the player's previous entry
grade. So at registration you have information to hand if a grade
discussion arises.

4. Common working practise
I believe that most TD's collect entries via email and then copy details
to a spreadsheet. At some point these details are entered into GoDraw. I
think a good time for that is a week before the tournament.  This gives
you time to pick up the latest version, test it out, and to download the
latest player list.

With the changes made to the entry grade it is a good idea to download
the latest player list before you start entering any players.  If your
existing list is out of date -  say last year's your entry grades could
have changed significantly.

Once a player is entered, GoDraw owns the data.  This means if you
download the list at a later date, only new entries will consult the
player list.

If you do enter players early then player ratings may heve changed in
the meantime, so will need to check the rating list for any changes.

5. Request
Seeing as this is a significant change can you please check the GoDraw
web page to see mention of this change and the other changes made, even
if your tournament is way in the future?

If you are using Windows beyond XP I would also appreciate a test run on
your machine so you can see how the system now behaves.

In particular I noticed at Barmouth that the printout of the rating list
seemed to have an extra space inserted in the mms for kyu players e.g.
  '- 4'.

That was a big puzzle for me, as there have been no code changes in that
area and it does not occur on my machine.  However it can occur with
other fonts so if you notice this phenomenon please let me know what
font your system is using.  You can see this in
GoDraw->Settings->Preferences->Printing Format->Printing Font.

I look forward to your feedback,

Many thanks,

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582