[tournament-org] WessexBar

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 22:29:02 GMT 2018

[[ as always]]

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582

On 30/10/2018 07:57, TobyManning via tournament-org wrote:
> At the Wessex on Sunday, with an entry of 6d*/4d**/1d/1d/1d/1d/1k/1k,
> the bar was put at 4 dan (!).
>
> *Actually 4dan on the EGF rating system
>
> ** First tournament in Europe, I believe
[[
Yes and it was a big mistake to enter at 4d. Apparently wanted to enter
at 1d, but was persuaded by 6d to enter at 4d.
]]

> So in the first round the 6 dan played the 4 dan and the four 1 dans
> played amongst themselves; subsequent gamesĀ  were played without handicap.
[[
Just to avoid any confusion, all games were played without handicap.
]]

> As a result the 4 dan was awarded second place, despite losing all three
> of her games.
[[
This is unfortunate of course. There is huge pressure at the end of the
tournament to get prizes under way.  But it wiuld have been possible to
correct things by changing the 4d back to 1d and resetting her initial mms.

In this case the top three places would be: 6d, 1d, 1k.
]]

> So effectively the bar was at 1 dan, but the player placed second should
> really have been 7th.
[[
Agreed that the 4d(actually 1d) should be 7th.

If all this had been spotted before then the bar would have been set to 1d.
]]