[tournament-org] Penalties for minor infringments ....

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 12:21:12 GMT 2018

>> On 26 October 2018 at 14:12 Geoff Kaniuk via tournament-org
>> <tournament-org at lists.britgo.org <mailto:tournament-org at lists.britgo.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Som players may have thought that you can continue playing from the
>> bowl till your flag drops and at that point you count out fresh stones.
>> That may have been the rule at some point in the distant past, but it no
>> longer is.
>
> I am unclear about the provenance or applicability of this rule so would be
> grateful for elaboration.
[[
Provenance is lost in the mists of time. It may have been used by a
local UK tournament for a while. The above rule has no applicability as
it is not used.
]]

> To be clear, it sounds right to me but in practice how does it play out?
>
> A couple of years ago my opponent's flag dropped at the end of main time.
[[
Therefore opponent is in overtime or has lost the game if it was sudden
death.

Main time ends when the flag drops.
]]

> pointed this out and the referee declared that my opponent was not ultra vires
[[
Its a long time since I have used any unfamiliar Latin so I looked it up
and it seems to be legalese for something that has gone wrong with a
contract so hardly of relevance here?
]]

> and could count out some stones and carry on as before.

[[
When the flag drops in main time, the clocks are paused.  You set the
time period. Your opponent counts stones. You check that the count is
accurate. It is now your turn to play and your opponent starts the clock.
]]

(It took me several
> minutes to find a referee, too..., and yes I was behind)
[[
If for some reason you need to find a referee:
1. Tell your opponent that this is needed.
2. Pause the clocks.
3. Search for referee.
]]

> This happened at a European tournament. I have since discussed this with UK
> colleagues who on the whole have suggested I was being a bit unreasonable but I
> cannot fathom the counterfactual .
>
> My view had always been that playing time should be continuous
[[
Game time as measured by the game clock is a consecutive sequence.  Real
time may show inactive periods.
]]
  and it is up to
> me to stop my flag falling in an unready state (end of main time, some stones
> left to play after the byo-yomi period)

[[
I think what you may be hinting at is only possible with a digital clock
which can indicate a change of state without any break in its counting
down.  (I know that BGA is getting some digital clocks and maybe Matt
can elaborate on how these manage Canadian overtime).

This is not possible with a mechanical clock. Also not possible  with
our BGA rules of play (derived from AGA rules)

[[
Sticking to mechanics: When the flag falls in main time you start
overtime. Clocks are paused and then the flag is raised. When you count
stones in overtime clocks are paused. If the flag falls you lose.
]]
> If a gap after main time is allowed (5 second, 5 minutes, 5 years?) then its
> that not the same as having stones left over in byo-yomi?
>
> And what is the basis for the actual rule, please?
[[
Please see the Handbook - Organiser's Toolbag
http://www.britgo.org/organisers/handbook/tournamentd
Section D.1.2
]]

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582