[tournament-org] Penalties for minor infringments ....

Geoff Kaniuk geoff at kaniuk.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 14:24:03 BST 2018

On 25/10/2018 20:12, Neil Sandford via tournament-org wrote:
> Somebody did a rules quiz for the Journal a couple of years ago and one of the suggestions for good practice was to cover up the main bowl of stones in overtime to prevent one being accidentally (or otherwise) played. Other goodies:
[[ This is good practice, but if you ignore it in overtime and play from
the bowl instead of your overtime stones then you may well lose on time.

I also think it is good sportsmanship to tell your opponent once if he
or she is playing from the bowl instead of overtime stones.
]]

> The rules seem vague about whether you can stop your clock and count out overtime stones IN ADDITION to any that you still have unplayed before the flag falls

[[
The writeup  in http://www.britgo.org/rules/approved is certainly
lacking in clarity, and should be reworked.

The statement in the Organisers Toolbag
http://www.britgo.org/organisers/handbook/tournamentd
is very clear.
]]

> The rules seem vague about the end of main time - I don’t think it says whether the first set of overtime stones has to be counted out BEFORE the flag falls in normal time or WHEN the flag falls. Given that the accuracy of an analogue clock is lower than we might like, it seems arbitrary when maintime actually finishes.
[[
Again see the Canadian Overtime section in the Organisers Toolbag
]]

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582