[tournament-org] WhereIsTheBar

Jenny Rofe-Radcliffe jenny at durge.org
Tue Oct 2 12:57:09 BST 2018

Hi,

To add to Toby's points, note that (as described by Alison) upsets do
occur. One of our 1ds could certainly win the tournament, by beating the
other 1d, a 1k and having an upset against the 5d. It would be grossly
unfair to that 1d to advertise a McMahon tournament and then switching it
around so that they don't have a chance to get an upset.

I keep coming back to the question of setting the bar rigidly at a grade
point that means we have an un-even number above the bar ... let's suppose
we set this bar at 1k, so above the bar we have five players. Then
inevitably one of the 2ks is drawn up in the first round ... which sort of
functions as them being above the bar, but docking them a McMahon point for
not being strong enough. This always seems a bit unfair to me. Clearly if
you have two 2ks (or whatever level) about whom you know nothing, no GoR to
judge from, etc., then I guess you might as well randomise by leaving them
both below the bar. But I much prefer, if I have a differentiator, to put
one of them above the bar to give an even number up there.

This is obviously a bit fiddly and most practical if (a) you've used GoDraw
quite a lot and (b) have someone else handling other aspects of the
tournament organisation so you only have to deal with the draw at this
awkward point when everyone is waiting for round one to begin. (I very much
advocate strong-arming someone into making announcements for you, or
alternatively coercing them into handling the draw for round one, at this
stage of a tournament. It's no fun doing it solo; no one can multi-task
that much.)

Thanks,

Jenny