[tournament-org] WhereIsTheBar

Richard Wheeldon richard at rswheeldon.com
Tue Oct 2 00:21:10 BST 2018

My 2c -
1. In answer to the original question, I'd have left it to GoDraw to figure out the right answer and trusted that someone more knowledgeable than myself had done the hard work.

2. If I'd have been forced to make a choice, I'd have gone with 1k. I'd have also been quite content with "it's silly, don't bother with the bar - make it handicap throughout" (ala Gerry's suggestion for sparse tournaments and pretty much in line with what we did at the International Teams). AIUI, the GoDraw workaround for this to set the bar to something higher than anything (e.g. 9p) or do everything manually. I'd be interested in better / cleaner ways to handle this.

3. The tournament organizer is always right. Having recently sorted out a bunch of these events, I have even more respect for the like of Jenny who have run these things in the past, for Paul who's picking up the IoM baton, Gerry for last year's Bar-Low and the LGC and for TO's in general.

4. In case the TO is wrong, see point (2)  <treasurer-mode>Unless the TO hasn't paid the levy</treasurer-mode>

5. Alison is right that 5d doesn't always mean 5d. Gerry is right that being beaten up by a sandbagger isn't fun. That's just  the swings and roundabouts that come with any game. Ce la vie.

6. There's nothing wrong with beating up weaker players but it's darn bad manners if you don't explain to them afterwards how you did it. This isn't the magic circle.

7. A certain player once resigned on move 1 (so he told me) against a much stronger player with the comment "Let's have a teaching game". For total mismatches, this may be a way for both players to save face and gain something from a silly mismatch.

8. I need to retire so I have more time to spend on Go and less time on work :)

9. All this talk about the bar has made me thirsty... :)

Richard