[tournament-org] WhereIsTheBar

Jenny Rofe-Radcliffe jenny at durge.org
Mon Oct 1 20:23:13 BST 2018

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 20:16, Gerry Gavigan via tournament-org <
tournament-org at lists.britgo.org> wrote:

> On 01 October 2018 at 18:32 TobyManning via tournament-org <
> tournament-org at lists.britgo.org> wrote:
>
> Geoff's example is not a tournament with a sparse entry (compare Gerry's
> Cork example, which had 13 entrants between 2d and 20 kyu, which was
> sparse, and hence run as a pure handicap tournament.) Geoff's example is a
> tournament with an outlier.
>
> you say tomato I say tomato - a good tournament for all players is one
> tending to an even population and if stronger players can't be bothered to
> enter in a timely fashion we should make a good tournament for weaker
> players

Nothing about setting the bar at 1k, 2k, 3k is going to affect the
tournament for weaker players. Unless your definition of weaker player is
well above the average standard of UK tournament players?

Thus far, two people (Alison and I) have expressed our preference for
potentially being above the bar even if we don't anticipate a win, and only
one (Gerry) has objected to the idea. I am not sure why it is Alison who
Gerry deems to be extrapolating from a personal preference, rather than
Gerry.

IME, strong players like playing, that's why they go to tournaments. They
are quite capable of enjoying a game against a willing and interested but
much weaker opponent; most of them are happy to see it as the sort of
learning opportunity that helped them get to where they are. And many
single figure kyu players will be very happy to get an opportunity to get
an even game against a significantly stronger opponent - they can be quite
hard to come by and are very interesting.

Jenny