[tournament-org] WhereIsTheBar

Alison Bexfield alison at bexfield.com
Mon Oct 1 17:35:09 BST 2018

I am replying having seen a number of other replies so referencing some
of them.
I would set the bar at one Dan or possibly one kyu.  You want the five
Dan to play the strongest people present which means the one dans and
probably a one kyu.
There is an outside chance the five Dan will not win all their games so
there must be some open even games at the top. We do not know whether
the five Dan is a genunine  five Dan. Could be a different rating scale
if foreign nationality or could be returnee after a break and very
rusty. In my tournament career I have lost on evens to someone four
grades weaker and also beaten someone four grades stronger (a five Dan).
It can happen.
As a one Dan I have no problem playing a five Dan on evens. I relish the
opportunity knowing I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I
generally would be upset to turn up and find what was advertised as one
thing had turned into a handicap event without any notice of it.
If there was s difference of say eight grades between top player and
next ranking player it would be a courtesy for the organisers to let the
top player know in advance.

---
Alison Bexfield