[Newsletter] Insurance Update

Toby Manning ptm at tobymanning.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 11:15:52 BST 2023

On 12 September I circulated a note suggesting that our insurance cover
was substantially less than we had previously understood from the
Insurance Company.

The Board are still trying to resolve the issue, but our understanding
is as follows:

a) BGA clg has had, and will continue to have, full Public Liability
Insurance (PLI). This covers all events run by the BGA itself (British
Congress, British Championship, British Youth, Youth Go Camp, etc. ) but
probably not events run by clubs or individuals (e.g. most regional
tournaments).

b) We are investigating the possibility of obtaining event insurance
covering specific events. Our thoughts are that we would seek to obtain
cover for, say, 50 specified events each year. This would enable us to
provide  cover for every regional tournament plus some teaching events, etc.

c) We believe it is unlikely that we will be able to get insurance
covering all BGA clubs - this is rather too open-ended for an insurance
company to cover, although we are still making enquiries.

You may ask the question*"Why do we need Pubic Liability Insurance
anyway? What are the risks?*" It is a very good question.

Public Liability Insurance is what it says: insurance against claims
from a third party (i.e. a member of the public) who has been adversely
affected by our operations. Fairly obviously if you are playing golf you
will need this: there is too much risk of a ball heading off in the
wrong direction. But it is not clear what is the risk from playing Go.
It does NOT cover the risk to us (or others) from the building itself;
if the roof falls in (think RAAC concrete) then this is the
responsibility of the building owners and any insurance we might happen
to have would be unlikely to pay out.

I suspect the biggest risks are dropping a go set on somebody's foot, or
a laptop being used to run the draw catching fire.

Nevertheless some landlords (but not all) will demand PLI as part of
their contract to let their hall, community centre or other building.

Toby Manning
BGA President

--
Toby Manning