[Newsletter] President's Message.

TobyManning ptm at tobymanning.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 18:32:48 GMT 2022

I am writing to update members on two important issues.

Conversion to a Company Limited by Guarantee.

On 27 January I wrote to you to initiate the consultation process
concerning our detailed proposals to convert the BGA from an
Unincorporated Assocviation to a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our
proposals were published at www.britgo.org/conversion
<http://www.britgo.org/conversion>, and we asked for your comments by
the end of February. We received several thoughtful and helpful
comments, which can be seen at www.britgo.org/council/comments
<http://www.britgo.org/council/comments>. Also shown on that page are
our responses to those comments, shown in italics.

There are still a couple of comments to which responses are in
preparation, so we are extending the period for comments by a week. We
then intend to publish our revised proposals, which will take account of
the comments which we have received. We still intend to put forward a
substantive motion to the AGM which we are scheduling for late May.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Council took the view that we
should take action against the Russian Go Federation. There has
subsequently been a debate, on Go Talk and elsewhere, with views ranging
from the hawk - Russia should be expelled from the European Go
Federation (EGF) - to the dove (we should keep politics out of Go).

This debate has now come to a head, as Ukraine has called for the
expulsion of the Russian Go Federation from the EGF, and the EGF has
called an emergency meeting for this coming Thursday to discuss it.
Council has considered its position, and intends to support the Ukranian
resolution.

The results of this vote will be published on our web site (see “Latest
News” on the home page).

--
Toby Manning
26 Groby Lane