[Newsletter] BGA Survey – Online Go Congress

Jil Segerman jil.segerman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:44:13 GMT 2020

Dear BGA Member

Following discussion on the BGA Council, this message is to all on the
Newsletter mailing list.   Please send your reply to secretary at britgo.org
 NOT to the address at the head of this email.

In these turbulent times it seems that playing Go online is one of the few
options we have to play our favourite game. The BGA has arranged a number
of online tournaments for members, and hopes to continue doing so for at
least as long as the pandemic lasts. In addition we are exploring how best
to hold a larger online Congress, consisting of a number of events, with
participation from players across Europe and the rest of the world. The
intention is to make this an EGF rated event.

To make sure we are best meeting your needs we would really appreciate you
completing this short survey, e-mailing your answers to secretary at britgo.org,.
Obviously I will be able to see who the e-mails come from, but all results
will be anonymised before being presented to a wider audience, which
initially will be the BGA Council.

Questions:

   1. Are you a member of the BGA? What is your current grade?

   1. Do you play Go online at the moment?
      1. If so what site(s) do you use?
      2. If not would you consider it in the future?

   1. Have you played this year in any of the ‘Corona Cup’, the ‘AGA e-Go
   congress’, the ‘Iberoamerican virtual championship’, the ‘Canada Open
   Online’, or any other online tournament not arranged by the BGA?
      1. If not, were you aware that these tournaments were available to
      you? Was there anything specific about the tournament setup that stopped
      you from playing?

   1. If the BGA arranges an ‘On-line Congress’ which of these events if
   any would you consider participating in
      1. 19*19 McMahon tournament
      2. Youth tournament
      3. Ladies tournament
      4. 13*13 tournament
      5. 9*9 tournament
      6. Pair Go tournament (mixed gender teams)
      7. Lightning event
      8. Teaching events or lectures from a professional
      9. Having a tournament game publicly reviewed by a professional
      10. I would not take part in such a congress

   1. We will try and arrange the match times to suit as many people and
   time zones as possible. Everyone will be able to indicate in advance which
   rounds they can play in, and will have byes for the others. For the main
   tournament, which of these if any would you prefer:
      1. 6 rounds, one game a day across three weekends
      2. 4 rounds, one game a day across two weekends
      3. 6 rounds including weekday evening games, one game a day
      4. More than one round a day (*Note – experience to date indicates
      that this is tricky to achieve well with a large entry, and may
well limit
      overseas attendance due to time zone issues*)

   1. Do you have any other thoughts on how such a Congress should be run
   and what it should contain?

My thanks in advance.

*Colin Williams*

BGA Secretary      mail:  secretary at britgo.org