[Newsletter] BGA Newsletter 266 May 2020

Jil Segerman jil.segerman at gmail.com
Sat May 2 07:55:50 BST 2020

This issue is also available at http://www.britgo.org/newsletter/266

FROM THE EDITOR

Contributions are always welcome, both from our members and others. We ask
that they be Go-related and "newsy". The place for debate and general
discussion is the BGA open mailing list Gotalk. However, an introduction to
a new topic is fine in the Newsletter. A brief introduction to Gotalk, with
a link for joining, is on the BGA page Go on the Internet
<https://www.britgo.org/gopcres/info#mail>. See also the BGA temporary
Coronavirus
page <http://www.britgo.org/coronavirus>.

*Instructions for Contributors:* Please use plain text not
file-attachments. Keep it fairly brief, and give web-links and contact
details. It's good to include pictures. If they are on the internet, send
me the URL, otherwise attach the picture files to your email. Send your
contribution to newsletter at britgo.org to arrive by the first day of the
month.

Jil Segerman
NEWS

The full set of recent news items, including further details of some of the
items shown here, are on our News Pages <http://www.britgo.org/news>, and
on News Headlines <http://www.britgo.org/views/news>.
BGA May 2020 Online Tournament

The BGA is organising an online tournament, running on the Bank Holiday
weekend of Friday 8th to Sunday 10th May, to fill the gap a little whilst
no face-to-face tournaments are taking place. The tournament will be a 3
round EGF rated tournament and we welcome players of all strengths to take
part. *Closing date for entries is midnight on Wednesday 6th May.* More
details here <http://www.britgo.org/may2020online>.
BGA Online League

The Online League will be restarting sometime in May; more details to come
in the near future. Teams of three or more players are requested to contact
Oliver Bustos Langton at online-league at britgo.org with names and ranks
ASAP. Individual players interested in joining up are also requested to
send their details in - we will endeavour to create teams out of such
players.
Pandanet Go European Team Championship

The next match, played on Pandanet, was on 7th April when we had a
difficult tie: against Italy, losing 3-1. The final match is on 19th May at
20:00 against Belgium. Spectators welcome. See here
<https://pandanet-igs.com/communities/euroteamchamps> for more details.
European Go Congress

There will be no European Go Congress this year. The Congress planned for
Ukraine this year is delayed until 2021 and for Romania until 2022. The
2020 EGF AGM will be held electronically.
Online Go for Juniors

Paul Smith writes: " We have had several successful meetings of the
Cambridge junior players (and some of their parents) in our OGS group. We
have got 25 members of the group now. We decided that any UK junior players
(and their parents if they also play Go) are welcome to join our meetings
there on Sundays at 4pm. If anyone is interested please let me know and I
will send the details." Email paul361smith at gmail.com
Also if there is some other OGS group who would like to play a match
against us at some point, let me know, I am sure we could arrange something.
Newcastle Go Club played Santiago Club Tengen

Tom Coulthard writes: "We put some information about our recent on-line Go
meetings on social media and one of our followers is a Brit-in-exile in
Chile, playing with Club Tengen in Santiago <https://www.clubtengen.cl/?m=1>.
He spotted our post and suggested arranging a club match. We had about 10
players in all and used the Discord app to chat and review the games while
we played on the IGS server. Needless to say, the Chileans mostly had great
English although we do have one Mexican player and the rest of us did
attempt some broken Spanglish!
All in all, the event seemed a great success and it was great way to make
some new Go connections. One of the Chilean players has since done some
game analyses and shared those with us which was very kind and much
appreciated. And while it wasn’t really the point, I’m pleased to report
that the Geordies kept up national pride with a good performance - even
though the 8 hour time delay meant we were drinking evening beers while
they were having lunchtime coffees!
It’s been frustrating not to be able to play in person during the current
lockdown, but every cloud has a silver lining and it has been nice to get
more to grips with technology and use that to play new people.
ADMIN.BGJ 191 is now available

The Spring 2020 edition of the British Go Journal is now available in the
Members' Area. Printed copies should be sent out shortly.
BGA Coronavirus Advice

A reminder of the BGA temporary page <http://www.britgo.org/coronavirus> with
ideas for meeting and playing online. Also Jon Diamond mentoned a
youtube Tutorial
Introduction to Zoom <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeq7NNQavRY>
EVENTS COMING SOON

*Events not cancelled* at time of going to press include:
*MAY*
Not the London Open
*JUNE*
Galway
Welsh Open, Barmouth
*AUGUST*
Scottish Open, Dundee
Mind Sports Olympiad, London
Youth Training Residential near Grantham, Lincolnshire
*SEPTEMBER*
Cornwall
T Mark Hall Rapid Play, London
European Women's Championship, London
*LATER*
October, Wessex, Three Peaks
November, Doki Doki Festival (Manchester), British Youth Go Championship
December, London Open

*OVERSEAS*
The European Go Federation's Tournament Calendar
<https://www.eurogofed.org/calendar/calendar.htm> includes the Major
European Tournaments and a World Tournament Calendar.