[Newsletter] BGA Newsletter 267 June 2020

Jil Segerman jil.segerman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 08:28:12 BST 2020

FROM THE EDITOR

Contributions are always welcome, both from our members and others. We ask
that they be Go-related and "newsy". The place for debate and general
discussion is the BGA open mailing list Gotalk. However, an introduction to
a new topic is fine in the Newsletter. A brief introduction to Gotalk, with
a link for joining, is on the BGA page Go on the Internet
<https://www.britgo.org/gopcres/info#mail>. See also the BGA temporary
Coronavirus
page <http://www.britgo.org/coronavirus>.

*Instructions for Contributors:* Please use plain text not
file-attachments. Keep it fairly brief, and give web-links and contact
details. It's good to include pictures. If they are on the internet, send
me the URL, otherwise attach the picture files to your email. Send your
contribution to newsletter at britgo.org to arrive by the first day of the
month.

Jil Segerman
AGM

The AGM of the BGA is normally held at the British Congress, but that was
not possible this year - and there are no prospects of holding a quorate
AGM with members present in person over the next few months. We therefore
accept that we are in breach of Constitution, which requires the AGM to be
held by the end of June (and, by implication, requires it to be
face-to-face).

It appears that Government restrictions may be significantly relaxed in
early July. In order to hold the AGM before this happens, while giving
Members sufficient warning, Council has therefore decided to hold an *on
line* AGM on *Tuesday, July 4 at 20:00. *We are attempting to make the
arrangements comply with the spirit of the constitution, if they do not
comply with its letter.

The meeting will be held via Zoom, and all members will be able to
participate.

Voting (should that be necessary) will be via the Zoom software, and *not *by
the election of tellers.

You do not need to register with Zoom to take part, nor to download any
software: you will simply need a device with a browser.

We are today publishing a *draft *Agenda and Associated documents
<http://www.britgo.org/agm2020>. This is within the Members' area, so you
will need to login.

Members who wish to have additional items included on the Agenda should
submit them to the Secretary (secretary AT britgo DOT org) by 30 June (see
Constitution clause 28). Nominations for Officers (President, Secretary and
Treasurer) must be received by 23 June, (clause 38) and nominations for
ordinary Council Members, and Auditor, by 6 July.

A further communication, with instructions about logging into the AGM, will
be sent out shortly before the Meeting.
NEWS

The full set of recent news items, including further details of some of the
items shown here, are on our News Pages <http://www.britgo.org/news>, and
on News Headlines <http://www.britgo.org/views/news>.
Pandanet Go European Team Championship

The final match of the season, played on Pandanet, was on 19th May when we
managed a draw against Belgium. This left us in sixth position. Serbia won
the B-League and Italy was second.
First BGA Realtime Online Tournament

The BGA held its first realtime online tournament on the 2020 VE Day Bank
Holiday weekend. 42 players took part in a three-round Mcmahon tournament
on OGS, with one game per day. Zherui Xu (4d Cambridge) came out the
eventual winner with three wins. Gokul Ramanan Subramanian (2k Cambridge)
took the highest placed below-the-bar prize.

The intention is to run another of these tournaments each month whilst
we're unable to run face-to-face tournaments - look out for information
about the June tournament.
Online Youth Group

Paul Smith writes: "The meetings on OGS for youth players and parents are
continuing every Sunday from 4pm to 6pm. There are junior players from
25-kyu up to 2-kyu and about half a dozen parents joining in as well. New
members are very welcome, please contact Paul Smith (paul361smith at gmail.com)
for details of how to join.

On 1 June some of our youth players from this group joined in the Dutch
youth group on OGS organised by Dave de Vos. We won 6 out of 8 games played
against the Dutch junior players (and Alexander Hsieh won a handicap game
against Dave) but this wasn't a competition, the point was just mostly to
play with some different players and have fun. If there are any other
groups on OGS (for example any UK club groups) who we could have a joint
meeting with please let Paul know.

On 7 June we started a match on KGS
<http://www.britgo.org/junior/chinamatch2020> between 12 British youth
players and a team of 12 youth players organised by Go teacher Li Ang in
China. Lea Wong won the first game for our team against Jiao Si Tan from
China. There will be two games now each weekend. Each player will play
until they lose when the next member of the team will take over, once one
team has run out of players then the other team has won. The British team
is Lea Wong, Caleb Monk, Yanyi Xiong, Alexander Timperi, Alexander Hsieh,
Jonah Burnstone-Cresswell, Scott Cobbold, Edmund Smith, Gene Wong, Tom
Bradbury, Daniel Chun Yang and Jayden Ng.

On 15 June we will play some games with the Scotland Youth Team group on
OGS.
ADMIN.BGA Journal

We are still seeking a volunteer to take over as Editor of the Journal.
This is the second time of asking, and it seems to me that if no one is
forthcoming, there eventually will be no BGJ. Therefore, I am sure the BGA
Council would be glad to hear from anyone who might consider taking on a
less-onerous job, for example: fewer issues per year, on-line-only format,
or job-share. Creative thinking welcomed; email
council-discussion at britgo.org Or to find out more, contact our current
stop-gap editor Bob Scantlebury on journal at britgo.org
Clocks

The BGA now has a full set of digital clocks, and therefore has some
analogue clocks which are surplus to requirements. These are available for
purchase by members at £5 for one, £8 for 2 or £10 for 3 (this includes
postage and packing). If you wish to buy any please contact the President
(president AT britgo.org).
EVENTS COMING SOON

*Events not cancelled* at time of going to press include:
*JULY*
Not the London Open
*AUGUST*
Mind Sports Olympiad, Online
Youth Training Residential near Grantham, Lincolnshire
*SEPTEMBER*
Cornwall
T Mark Hall Rapid Play, London
European Women's Championship, London
*OCTOBER*
Wessex
Three Peaks
*NOVEMBER* Doki Doki Festival (Manchester)
British Youth Go Championship

*LATER*
December, London Open

*OVERSEAS*
The European Go Federation's Tournament Calendar
<https://www.eurogofed.org/calendar/calendar.htm> includes the Major
European Tournaments and a World Tournament Calendar.